Monday, November 5, 2012

November 4, 2012


Dear Mom,
                Well sorry that you are battling sickness and tiredness, but doesn`t it make you grateful for a universal resurrection where we will finally not get sick or tired anymore? The gospel is the greatest :)
And so is being on a mission. This week flew by, I woke up this morning and thought that it might be Friday, and then realized that it is Monday. Crazy. I think I am trapped in some kinda crazy time warp/wrinkle in time that is distorting by ability to perceive time. But anyways, on to more important things....
                Well let’s see what happened this week... First off John, our cool Nigerian friend got deported. He called me today from the deportation camp, and at the end of the month he will be sent back to
Italy. He will call us when he gets there, and hopefully the missionaries there will be able to teach him farther. 
We met a cool guy named Yawad. He is from
Syria and he came up to us last Monday and said in very broken German that he wanted a book. So we went home and got one in Arabic and gave it to him. He is almost finished with it, and came to church yesterday, the only frustrating thing is that we can`t really communicate at all with him. But don’t worry, we will find a way.
                Things are continuing with Yuri as well. He is still in love with the Catholic Church, but little by little we are teaching him the restored truths of the gospel, and they are changing him. 
                We also went to the temple this week. It was fun to be in
Bern again. I love that city :) and the temple was awesome. It is the best place on the world.
                We also had finding day this week in Richterswil. It was good. We found a couple of cool people, including a funny guy named Jonas. I asked him what the purpose of life for him was, and he explained that he was atheist and didn`t really believe in God, and then I asked him if he knew anything about the Book of Mormon? He answered that he watched South Park, and knew about the Book of Mormon from a couple of episodes, and I was able to convince him that he should take the Book of Mormon and read it for himself. Hopefully he will do that and will be able to find answers to his questions and problems.
                This week I have been studying a lot about change, and how we can change ourselves through the atonement of Jesus Christ. I don`t know how you, or anyone else feels, but sometimes I feel like I am stuck in the same old routine, and that it is ridiculously hard to change. I searched the scriptures, looking for some secret knowledge that I knew would unlock this mystery for me. I spent a lot of time studying it, and even more time pondering about it, and it was truly a testimony to me about the simple but eloquent truths of the gospel as I read in Helaman 15:7-8

 And behold, ye do know of yourselves, for ye have witnessed it, that as many of them as are brought to the knowledge of the truth, and to know of the wicked and abominable traditions of their fathers, and are led to believe the holy scriptures, yea, the prophecies of the holy prophets, which are written, which leadeth them to faith on the Lord, and unto repentance, which faith and repentance bringeth a change of heart unto them—
 Therefore, as many as have come to this, ye know of yourselves are firm and steadfast in the faith, and in the thing wherewith they have been made free.

                This change of heart was wrought upon the Lamanites through faith and repentance! That is the Gospel of Jesus Christ! The third missionary lesson! It can`t be that simple! But thank goodness, it is. The gospel of Jesus Christ is a divinely appointed plan of action. It is God`s way of changing us. A change that is so complete, a full change of actions, thoughts and even desires. I testify that faith and repentance are the way to overcome all challenges of life! I am so thankful for a loving Savior, who suffered, bled, and died that I might, through his tender mercies and grace, change my life, step by step. I testify that this church is the Lord`s personal church, led by his appointed prophet. And I testify that missionary work is the best! 

Liebe
Elder Terry


pictures:  Elders Terry and Nielsen at Lake Arosa
Lake Arosa
McRaclette Burger
Swiss Days at McDonalds











No comments:

Post a Comment